Pelser's Barber Shop - 1920

100 0648This building is a replica of the Pelser Barber Shop that the Pelser family barbered from in Winkler between 1920 - 1990s. 

Built in 1920, the original shop was not able to be restored (although some say the windows and door were saved and are the original ones) ... and though this is not the original building, the artifacts are in fact the ones that the Pelsers used while barbering in their shop on Main Street in Winkler, where the Crocus Place parking lot is now located. 

Mr. Pelser was born in West Germany in 1887.  He immigrated to Canada in 1905 and settled in Winnipeg where he trained as a barber.  In 1907, Mr. Pelser moved to Winkler before moving on to Saskatchewan in 1909.  After receiving the title to a homestead there, he moved back to Winkler in 1920 and opened his shop that same year. 

During the depression, Julius Pelser gave shaves for 15 cents and haircuts for 25 cents ... and he raised a family of six on this income! 

In 1952, Julius' son Leonard joined him in working in the barbershop.  Leonard remained in the shop until the mid-1990's, when it was moved to make way for the Crocus Place parking lot.

Many a local fella can remember getting their hair cut in the shop over the years and can recall as youngsters, how wood planks were placed on the arms of the chairs for them to sit on in order to raise them up high enough, prior to booster seats being available.

The sign of the barber's profession is still widely kept.  It is a pole with red and white stripes in a spiral around it.  These stripes represent the bandage with which the barber wrapped his patient after bloodletting.  It should be noted that in very early days, barbers were also surgeons.

The Barber Shop also displays an extensive collection of calendars dating back to 1924.


IMG 6208



Donate Now Through!